School holidays are a great time for families to spend together and have fun, but sometimes two weeks can be a long time to keep kids engaged. Don’t worry; Zak’s got you covered! Here are three great ideas that are cost effective and will help you avoid the ‘Mum, I’m bored!’
Scavenger hunts are perfect during the school holidays. With a sense of adventure and purpose, kids love exploring and there are plenty of different ways to do it.
- Inside: Write a checklist of several different objects around the home that the kids can collect. Make sure to put in some that are a little tricky, perhaps hidden by a riddle.
- Outside: Great for the adventurous and those that love collecting.
- Take a snap: If you want to avoid the mess that comes with collecting, get the kids to take a photo of everything they need to ‘collect’.
Once the kids have finished the treasure hunt, be sure to have your Zak containers ready for a snack or two. Scavenger hunts are perfect if you have a few extra kids coming over too. They can even make their own teams!
Kids love getting involved in the kitchen and what better way to encourage them than by helping prepare a picnic. Use creative shapes and colourful foods to get them excited. Get the kids to make their own sandwiches and help pack the basket.
Bring along some games for them like a Frisbee or cricket ball and bat so they can play after eating.
Get the arts and crafts out and organise a space where the kids can put together a scrapbook. Trust us, you’ll be surprised at just how long it will hold their attention. Some perfect items for scrapbooking:
- Coloured paper, textas, paddle pop sticks, glue, stickers, crayons, mini-pegs & glitter.
- Print out some photos for them to use
- Give them some pages with headings already such as About Me, School, Hobbies, and Once Upon A Time…
Let us know how you go with these ideas. Are there any others that you find work well with the kids?